Leopard gecko is a ground-dwelling, cathemeral lizard. This lizard is found in the Asian highlands and normally in the whole Afghanistan country. People like to pet this awesome lizard because it’s really cool to have a gecko as a pet. But, if you live in any other country or place which is far away from their natural habitat, you should consider creating such an environment at your place for your pet. Any animal’s health is at its best when they live in their natural habitat so if you want to make your gecko feel like home and be happy with you, you have to build that particular environment near him but for that, you need to know the best habitat for leopard gecko. In this article, we have covered all the places where they are naturally found and what is an ideal environment for them.
Things About The Leopard Gecko
Leopard gecko is a cathemeral leopard that is normally found in South Asia and is quite popular for being easy to have as a pet. This is really easy to take care of them, unlike cats and dogs. This lizard’s natural habitats are the best environment for their survival so if you are having a leopard gecko as your pet then you should maintain their environment like their natural habitat at your place. They can not climb upon a flat surface, because of not having toe pads like most of the geckos this lizard also has eyelids what makes them look different than other lizards. They survive by eating insects and mostly prefer to hunt their own. The most common or favorite insect as their food for them is cricket, normally they can eat till they are full of food.
They can produce heat in their own body this they need a temperature of almost 80-85F for their survival but still, they go to some cooler places for lowering the temperature when they want. They can be proven to you as a good pet, but you should still take all the care of them as your pet.
Ideal Environmental Conditions For Leopard Gecko
These lizards are a good pet and are easy to take care of but still, you have to make everything better and according to them so they can feel more healthy and happy in the best habitat for leopard gecko. the ideal environment for the leopard gecko is as follows,
- Make area for hiding, these lizards live in the places where they can easily hide from others and thus if you are planning to have a leopard gecko then you have to design their tank with a lot of places to hide you can add rocks artificially or natural plants in their tank to make them feel like home. A natural environment makes them behave normally like they do in their original habitat.
- There should be a flat area where your pet gecko my does many activities such as moving, exercising and etc. You can have flat rocks over which they can run whenever they want naturally.
- Being exothermic they can not produce heat in their body, they naturally live in a temperature of 80-85F during the day time and 88-90F during nighttime. The temperature should be appropriate so that their health won’t get affected by this. But you don’t need to maintain it at every place they may want to move hotter and cooler areas to manage their body temperature many times a day.
- During summers they spend 14 hours in light and 10 hours in darkness, but in winters they need fewer daytime hours and thus almost 12 hours in light and 12 hours in darkness to manage the stress of their body after whole day activity.
- According to a hydrometer, the humidity level for a leopard gecko should be 40%, this is required for them so that they can stay hydrated, and normally they are found in this environment at their natural habitats.
- Leopard gecko requires clean water to survive and maintain their health. So if you are building a habitat for your pet leopard gecko, don’t forget to install a source for clean water. Everyone requires fresh water to stay healthy and so does the leopard gecko.
Places That Are The Natural Habitat Of Leopard Gecko
If you are going to pet a leopard gecko and want to what kind of ideal environment they need, you should first know about the places in which they are naturally found. The natural habitat of the leopard gecko is in the following places,
- South Asian Afghanistan
- Northwest India
they are normally found in the rocky, dry grasslands and desert areas of these places. During winters when the temperature is around 10°C they go into semi-hibernation or in brumation. Being a cathemeral reptile, thus in the wild, they only found in the burrows and in the shaded area. The natural habitat provides them with the perfect environment for survival, so if you are building a habitat for them at your place then you should keep in mind the environment that is normally in these areas. Having a pet is a big responsibility, you have to take care of their health and natural behavior which can only be achieved if the feel like home like in their natural habitat.
Leopard geckos need their natural habitat to survive long and stay healthy like any other kind of living being. If you are going to have one as your pet then you should create a good environment to create the best habitat for leopard gecko in the place where you live. These lizards are really interesting as a pet and also easy to take care of, still, they are some of the normal things that you should take care of if you have a pet leopard gecko with you. If you are building a habitat at your place you should have known about the places in which they normally live to make them feel like home.